Welcome to NCTRC e-News!
May Recertification and Annual Maintenance Reminder
Is it time to renew your CTRS® Certification or pay your annual maintenance fee?
NCTRC will soon be undergoing a comprehensive update of our online systems. If you are due for your annual maintenance or to recertify by June 30, 2017, you must submit your application and fee BEFORE THE DEADLINE OF FRIDAY, JUNE 16.
As we work behind the scenes, setting the stage for implementation of a full suite of new and improved features, we will be unable to accept any applications between June 19-July 31.
Some of the exciting features of our new system include:
- The ability to access and print receipts for payment
- The option to upload and store continuing education documents
- The ability for active certificants to print a copy of their certificate
- The ability to visually monitor your application submittal status
Thank you for your patience, and please visit www.NCTRC.org on or after August 1.
Please contact us if you have any specific questions pertaining to your annual maintenance or recertification, and remember that we will be unable to accept any applications between June 19-July 31.
For your convenience, the recertification process and annual maintenance can be completed online by visiting MY NCTRC LOGIN.
NCTRC Conducts Annual Board Meeting
The NCTRC Board of Directors conducted its annual meeting on March 16-17, 2017 in Central Valley, NY. Some of the accomplishments during the two-day meeting include:
- Two new members were inducted to the NCTRC Board of Directors for the 2017-2020 term:
- Suzanne Prosser, CTRS (AZ)
- Andrea Waters, CTRS (NS, Canada)
- Donna Gregory, CTRS (MD) was re-appointed as Employer Representative to the Board
- A new Executive Committee for the term of 2017-2018 was elected:
- Colleen Cooke, CTRS (PA), Chairperson
- Melissa Zahl, CTRS/L (OK), Vice Chairperson
- Wayne Pollock, CTRS (VA), Treasurer
- Donna Gregory, CTRS (MD), Secretary
- One new member was appointed to NCTRC Standing Committees:
- Julie Bradwell, CTRS (NC), Standards Review Committee
- Laura McLachlin, CTRS (CA) was re-appointed to the Standards Review Committee
- Marybeth Pozzuto, CTRS (NY) was re-appointed to the Standards Hearing Committee
- Susanne Lesnik-Emas, CTRS (PA) was re-appointed to the Exam Management Committee
The Board approved conducting the NCTRC Annual Certificants Meeting at the ATRA Annual Conference to be held in Orlando, FL, September 9-12, 2017.
Colleen Cooke, CTRS Elected NCTRC Chairperson
Colleen Cooke was installed as the new Chairperson of the NCTRC Board of Directors at the recently held NCTRC Annual Meeting. Colleen earned her Bachelor of Science in Therapeutic Recreation from Slippery Rock University, a Master of Education in Counseling from the University of Pittsburgh and an EdD in Healthcare Education from Nova Southeastern University. Colleen is currently a Professor in Recreational Therapy at Slippery Rock University. She has over 30 years of experience, 12 as a practitioner and 19 as an educator.
Helpful Reminders to Assure a Successful Internship
The summer months often serve as an opportunity for students to complete their academic internships. In order to provide a smooth transition to obtaining the CTRS credential, the following requirements must be met during the internship experience:
- The length of the internship must be a minimum of 14 consecutive weeks and 560 hours.
- The intern must work a minimum of 20 hours per week and no more than 45 hours per week.
- The primary agency CTRS supervisor must be employed at least 30 hours a week at the sponsoring agency. At least 50% of the supervisor’s duties must be in therapeutic recreation and they must be an active CTRS on the first day of the student’s internship.
- The internship must be supervised by an academic supervisor and an agency supervisor both of whom need to be an active CTRS.
- The internship agency supervisor must be certified for at least one year prior to supervising interns.
- The internship experience must be based on the therapeutic recreation process as defined by the current NCTRC Job Analysis.
Please visit NCTRC’s website to review and download the NCTRC Internship Standards. NCTRC offers a marketing packet specifically geared towards the internship standards. If you would like to receive a packet, please contact email@example.com.
Don’t forget that as an agency CTRS supervisor you can earn CEUs towards your recertification, please review the NCTRC Internship Supervision for Continuing Education Form for more information.
Please contact NCTRC at 845-639-1439 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any comments or questions.
Thank you for your continued support of NCTRC and the CTRS credential!